Should you handle your own VAT or get an expert on the case? There’s no sure-fire answer but there are some common sense questions to answer that’ll help you identify whether or not you’re better off doing a DIY job.
Do I tackle my own VAT or hand over to an expert?
If the answer to most of these questions is ‘no’, it’s probably wise to let yourself off the hook, bring in professional support and head a nervous breakdown off at the pass.
- Are you methodical and organised?
- Do you enjoy working with numbers?
- Do you get a kick out of filling in forms?
- Are you 100% confident you can decode HMRC’s jargon?
- Do you always meet deadlines, fulfilling your obligations without difficulty?
- Do you have a firm grasp on how much you’re likely to earn over the next year?
- Do you understand the VAT basics?
- Do you want to learn the ins and outs of the VAT system?
Would you love to DIY?
If the answer to most of the questions above is ‘yes’ and you have the spare time to dedicate to getting it right, go forth and figure out your own VAT. You might even enjoy it… you weird person, you!
If you’re raring to go but think you might need training to consolidate your knowledge, just ask. That’s exactly what I do for businesses of all sorts of shapes, sizes and flavours across Britain and beyond.